Cairns Regional Council's 2017-2018 Budget was handed down at a Special (Budget) Meeting on Monday 26 June 2017.
The 2017-2018 Budget is Council's fifth consecutive balanced Budget. It features total operating expenditure and total operating revenue of $294 million.
Focused on creating a highly liveable city, it features a $169 million capital works program investment in lifestyle-enhancing recreational, sporting and cultural facilities, as well as critical infrastructure, roads, safety and city amenity.
The Budget delivers a modest 1.75 per cent rates and utilities increase for almost all ratepayers.
- Balanced Budget with a total operating expenditure/revenue of $294m
- Low rate rise
- General rate increase of 1.75% (below CPI)
- Utility charges increase by 1.75%
- 99.6% of ratepayers to receive an increase of 1.75% or less
- Total Capital Works Program worth $169m:
- $43.7m to complete CPAC
- $34.5m spend on roads and transport
- $37.9m on water, sewerage and waste infrastructure
- $22.8m on sporting and recreation infrastructure
- Focus on lifestyle-enhancing projects
- Stimulating the Economy
- $367m will be spent in the community on resources, materials and services
- $3m to support tourism industry and initiatives
- $1.5m to support major sporting and cultural events
- $422,000 for economic development initiatives
Budget documents and media releases
- Budget snapshot ( PDF, 5.17 MB )
- Mayor's Budget message
- Media release - Budget funds liveable city
- Media release - Broad scope in capital program
- Media release - Rates rise stays below CPI
- Media release - Community spaces enhance lifestyle
- Media release - Gallery precinct to take shape
- Media release - Smart investment in water savings
- Media release - More budget highlights
- 2017-18 Budget Financial Statements & Community Financial Report ( PDF, 0.36 MB )
Budget-related Policies 2017-2018 financial year
- Revenue Policy ( PDF, 0.04 MB )
- Revenue Statement ( PDF, 0.46 MB )
- Procurement Policy ( PDF, 0.07 MB )
- Debt Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Investment Policy ( PDF, 0.05 MB )
- Reserves Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Dividend Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Bank Guarantee Policy ( PDF, 0.07 MB )
- Rates Based Financial Assistance Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Concealed Water Leak Policy ( PDF, 0.04 MB )
2017-18 Budget Financial Statements and Community Financial Report (363.6 KB)
2017-18 Budget Financial Statements and Community Financial Report, including estimated costs of commercial business units, long term financial forecast and Code of Competitive Conduct Statement.
Budget snapshot 2017-18 (5.2 MB)
Council’s $294 million balanced Budget for 2017-18 is focused on creating a highly liveable city. It features a $169 million capital works program investment in lifestyle-enhancing recreational, sporting and cultural facilities, as well as critical infrastructure, roads, safety and city amenity.