Cairns Regional Council's 2016-2017 Budget was handed down at a Special (Budget) Meeting on Monday 27 June 2016.
The 2016-2017 Budget is Council's fourth consecutive balanced Budget. It features total operating expenditure and total operating revenue of $287 million, and a record Capital Works program of $178.5 million.
For the third year in a row, the Budget delivers a modest 1.5 per cent rates increase for the majority of ratepayers. This year's Budget also provides a 100% discount on rates for all eligible non-profit organisations under Council's Rates Based Financial Assistance Scheme.
Major project highlights
- $36 million for commencement of the Cairns Performing Arts Centre ($61.7 million over two years) and the completion of Munro Martin Parklands ($10 million project).
- $10.4 million for Stage 2 of Shields Street Heart.
- $9.2 million for the School of Arts redevelopment and fit-out for the building's primary tenant, the Cairns Museum.
- $62 million for transport projects including Logomeir Road at Edmonton ($7.6 million over 2 years), Collins Ave Bridge ($3.1 million), Portelli Road at Redlynch ($1.6 million), McLean Street upgrade ($1.1 million).
- $15.8 million for sporting and recreation projects including $5.5 million for Walker Road Sports Precinct stage 2 and $3 million for new cycling infrastructure.
- $2 million for TTNQ and $1 million for other tourism initiatives.
- $1 million to support and develop major sporting events that deliver economic benefits.
Budget documents and media releases
- Budget snapshot ( PDF, 1.54 MB )
- Mayor's Budget message
- Media release - Budget caters to changing needs, growth
- Media release - Benefits to flow from record works program
- Media release - Rates kept to 1.5% for third year
- Media release - Big spending on culture and sport
- Media release - More budget highlights
- Community Financial Report ( PDF, 0.39 MB )
Budget-related Policies 2016-2017 financial year
- Revenue Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Revenue Statement ( PDF, 0.46 MB )
- Debt Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Investment Policy ( PDF, 0.04 MB )
- Reserves Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Dividend Policy ( PDF, 0.02 MB )
- Bank Guarantee Policy ( PDF, 0.02 MB )
- Rates Based Financial Assistance Policy ( PDF, 0.03 MB )
- Concealed Water Leak Policy ( PDF, 0.04 MB )
Budget Snapshot 2016-2017 (1.5 MB)
A two-page snapshot of Council's 2016-2017 Budget. Council's fourth consecutive balanced Budget features total operating expenditure and total operating revenue of $287 million, and a record Capital Works program of $178.5 million.
Community financial report 2016-2017 (395.2 KB)
The Community Financial Report contains budgeted financial statements, estimated costs of commercial business units, long-term financial forecast and Code of Competitive Conduct Statement for 2016-17.