Residents may experience some increased noise and traffic delays on Saturday 30 September 2017 due to the Sir Elton John concert major event taking place at Cazalys Stadium on Mulgrave Road.
Changed traffic conditions will be in place around the Cazalys Stadium from 1pm until midnight. These changed conditions will apply to Mulgrave Road, Dalton Street, Mann Street, Earl Street and Tills Street.
- Tills Street: Tills Street will be closed to traffic between Mann Street and Earl Street from 1.00pm to midnight, with local access retained at all times.
- Newell Street: Access to Newell Street from Mulgrave Road will be closed from 1.00pm to midnight, Alternate access to Mulgrave Road is via Lyons Street.
- Dalton Street: Access to Mulgrave Road via Dalton Street will be closed from 1.00pm to midnight. Alternate access to Mulgrave Road is via McCoombe Street.
As a result of the event, the existing Sunbus Route 140/150 bus stop located outside Cazalys Social Club on Mulgrave Road will be temporarily relocated to outside of the Balaclava Veterinary Surgery at 378 Mulgrave Road. This temporary relocation will be in effect on Saturday 30 September only.
In addition to the above changed traffic conditions on Saturday 30 September, parking will also be temporarily removed in the following locations:
- Mulgrave Road on the north between McCoombe Street and Tills Street;
- Mulgrave Road on the north outside Spotlight shopping centre;
- Dalton Street on the east near the intersection of Mulgrave Road;
- Earl Street between Tills Street and Rose Street; and
- Mann Street between Tills Street and Rose Street.
Park & Ride
Limited parking will be available around Cazalys Stadium for the event. Organisers encourage event patrons to park and ride using the FREE bus service from:
- Cairns CBD (Collection from Lake Street Bus station)
- Cairns Showgrounds (Collection from Scott Street)
Entry and exit to the Cairns Showground car park will be via Severin Street, with the bus collection occurring on Scott Street.
Public shuttle bus locations
Patrons event tickets includes FREE transport to and from the venue from 4.20pm on dedicated charter buses. These buses will run from Lake Street bus station located in the Cairns CBD or the Cairns Showgrounds off Scott Street. Buses will service the venue at:
- Mulgrave Road (service Gate 2)
- Tills Street (service Gate 1)
At egress, all public buses will drop off via both Cairns Showgrounds and Lake Street bus station.
Other Sunbus services will operate as normal with usual ticket prices. Please visit Sunbus for Bus Timetables and fare information.
Public drop off/ set down locations
- Earl St for patrons accessing Gate 1
- Dalton St for patrons accessing Gate 2
Taxi rank locations
- Mann St for patrons accessing Gate 1
- Mulgrave Rd for patrons accessing Gate 2
Car parking locations
- Corner Gatton & Tills sts ($10 fee applies with money going toward grassroots AFL in Cairns)
For more information
- Download a printable copy of the flyer ( PDF, 1.6 MB ) showing changed traffic conditions, road closures, Park & Ride options, taxi rank and public shuttle bus locations.
- Download the key venue and show information notice ( PDF, 0.89 MB ), including concert map, information on security measures, bag sizes, entry conditions, getting to and from the venue, prohibited items, food & beverages, ATMs, merchandise and more.
Should you have any further enquiries about this major event or require additional information about these changed traffic conditions, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 4044 3044.