Aspiring Boomers can shoot hoops with Australian triple Olympian and San Antonio Spurs NBA Championship player Patrick “Patty” Mills at a meet and greet Fan Fest on the Cairns Esplanade on Monday evening.
The Fan Fest will also feature performances by the Minjil Dance Troupe and Gerib Sik Dance Troupe, and GC2018 Commonwealth Games Mascot Borobi and the Mascoteers.
Members of the Cairns Basketball juniors will also be onsite hosting a sausage sizzle to raise funds for the upcoming National Championships.
Canberra-born Mills plays for the San Antonio Spurs and was a member of their NBA championship winning team in 2014. He has competed for the Australian Boomers at the past three Olympic Games.
Widely recognised as one of Australia’s best basketball exports, Mills is an inspiration for many young Australians and a leader within Indigenous communities across the country. He was recently named as an official Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Ambassador.
Cairns will host Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games preliminary rounds of the men’s and women’s basketball from April 4-15 at the Cairns Convention Centre.
FAN FEST EVENT DETAILS
DATE: Monday 7 August, 2017
TIME: 6pm – 8.30pm
VENUE: Western Events Lawn, Cairns Esplanade
(near the Lagoon)
Patty Mills Bio:
- Date of Birth: 11 August 1988
- Age: 28
- Lives: San Antonio, Texas
- Born: Canberra, Australia
- Sport: Basketball - Point Guard
- Team: San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
Recognition, stats and awards:
- 2014 - NBA champion with the San Antonio Spurs
- 2008 and 2010 - Gaze medallist (Australian International Player of the Year)
- 3 x Olympian (Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016)
- 2008-2009 First-team All-West Coast Conference
- 2007, 2013 and 2015 FIBA Oceania Champion
- Attended Saint Mary's College of California from 2007 to 2009
- Was drafted to the NBA in 2009 – Round 2 – Pick 55 overall and selected by the Portland Trail Blazers
- Played his first NBA game for Portland in January 2010
- During the 2011 NBA lockout played with Xinjiang Flying Tigers (China) and Melbourne Tigers (Australia)
- In March 2012 signed with the San Antonio Spurs
- Playing numbers – Spurs #8 and Australian Boomers #5
- Mills is a fan of NRL team Brisbane Broncos and AFL side the Adelaide Crows
- In 2006 was the youngest member of the Boomers team at 17 years of age
- In 2013 was the first Indigenous Australian to play in the NBA Finals