Munro Martin Parklands will host a commemorative service recognising 102 years since ANZAC troops landed on the shores of Gallipoli.
The new-look Parklands will feature in the 2017 Anzac Day program of commemorative events, which will honour the memory of the ANZACs and all those who have served their country since.
The traditional Cairns Dawn Service will be held at the Cairns Esplanade Cenotaph from 5.30am.
An Ecumenical Service at St Monica’s Cathedral will follow at 8.15am, before the Parade forms up at Fogarty Park and marches toward Munro Martin Parklands.
The Parade, which will be led by Lt. Colonel Tim Rutherford, Commanding Officer 51st Battalion FNQ Regiment, will step off from Fogarty Park at 10am and travel north along the Esplanade to Minnie Street and along Grafton Street to enter Munro Martin Parklands. Note this is the opposite direction to last year’s march.
The Commemorative Service will start at approximately 10.35am.
Mayor Bob Manning said thousands of residents were expected to attend the services.
“Anzac Day in Cairns is always a moving and emotional event,” he said. “We feel very much connected to our past and our community comes together in a special way on our most solemn of days.
“It’s the day we remember all Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
“It’s a time to recognise the spirit of Anzac, with its human qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, which continues to have meaning and relevance to our sense of national identity.
“We also remember our neighbours in New Zealand, whom our young Australians fought alongside more than a century ago and with whom we continue to share an unbreakable bond.”
In addition to the Cairns city services, the following Anzac Day services and commemorative events will be held throughout the region:
- 4:25am Dawn parade from RSL Memorial Hall to ANZAC Park (cenotaph) followed by service and wreath laying (assemble at 4am at RSL Memorial Hall)
- 10am Commemorative March (assemble at 9:50am RSL Memorial Hall) to ANZAC Park, followed by service/wreath laying
- 4:10am Commemorative March (assemble on Anderson Street entrance)
- 4:28am Dawn Service begins at the War graves, Martyn Street Cemetery
- 5:15am Dawn parade at Fuller Park (cenotaph) followed by service/wreath laying
- 5:28am Bugler sounds long "G"
- 7:45am Commemorative march (assemble outside Hambledon Hotel) with service/wreath laying to follow at Fuller Park (Cenotaph)
- 3:30am Gunfire breakfast at RSL Annex (next to tennis court in Norman Park)
- 4:15am Dawn Service Begins at Norman Park Cenotaph (assemble at
4am at RSL, Gordon Street) followed by service/wreath laying
- 6am Breakfast at Norman Park
- 9am Parade to assemble at Gordonvale Primary School
- 9:30am Commemorative march from Gordonvale Primary school to Norman Park (cenotaph) followed by service/ wreath laying
- 6:50am Parade assembles at Stratford Post Office
- 7am Commemorative march to Stratford Cenotaph, followed by service and wreath laying
- 5:30am Dawn parade (assemble adjacent to memorial) followed by commemorative address and wreath laying
- 8:30am Commemorative service at the Boat Club Marina