The Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group commenced in December 2016 and is co-facilitated by Cairns Regional Council and Centacare Cairns. The Reference Group is a 12 month pilot through to December 2017 and includes 19 community members from diverse cultural and faith backgrounds, representing the cultural diversity of Cairns.
The Reference Group activities focus on three key themes: strategic planning, capacity building and networking. The selection process for participation was based on the following participation values:
- Sustainable (requires motivated and available participants)
- Inclusion (marginal participants need access)
- Representation (ethnicity, faith, language, gender, age)
- Participation (diversity of people given the opportunity to participate)
- Equitable (fair and transparent in selection)
For further information regarding the Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group, please contact Cairns Regional Council's Community Development Officer (Multicultural) on (07) 4044 3447 or email@example.com