A 12 month pilot for a Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group will commence in December 2016 and will be co-facilitated by Cairns Regional Council and Centacare Cairns.
The Reference Group will participate in three key activities; capacity building, strategic planning and networking.
The Reference Group will include up to 25 community members from diverse cultural and faith backgrounds and will be representative of the diversity of Cairns. Participants will be selected through an open application process which will open following a Multicultural Leadership Seminar on Saturday, 3 December 2016.
- Inclusion (marginal participants need access)
- Representation (ethnicity, faith, language, gender, age)
- Participation (diversity of people given the opportunity to participate)
- Equitable (fair and transparent in selection)
- Sustainable (requires motivated and available members)
Criteria for participation in the Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group:
- Open to diverse culture, language and faith groups
- Attendance at the Multicultural Leadership Seminar (held 3rd December 2016) is a prerequisite for participation in the 12 month pilot phase
- Nomination requires at least two endorsements from community
- May or may not be a formal elected representative of the community
- Leaders may nominate a group representative
- Community and organisation (non-Individual) participants can nominate one proxy to attend meetings if they are unavailable
- CMS and Council may directly appoint participants based on criteria, including ethnicity, faith, gender, formal/informal role in community, skills and knowledge, age, leadership experience, new arrival etc
- Community participants encouraged to nominate new representative every 12 months
- Final MRG participants to be selected by CMS and Council representatives
- Participants may nominate alternative representatives for working group meetings (only) if they feel they are not the best person in their community to contribute (for example, a working group focussed on youth would benefit from having a representative from this subgroup)
- Participation of service providers in reference group activities to be driven by reference group participants and linked to needs and priorities identified in strategic planning activities
Applications for participation in the 12 month pilot of the Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group are open for 6 weeks following the Multicultural Leadership Seminar, closing at 5pm on Friday, 13 January 2017.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 31 January 2017 and successful applicants will be notified of the date of the first meeting in February 2017.
To find out more, please contact Council's Community Development Officer on 4044 3447 or email: email@example.com