Current status at 22 June 2017
The final stage of this new sports precinct is expected to start soon (ie. Stage 1B). Works will include:
- realigning a 20 metre wide swale drain and profiling the final full-sized oval playing field;
- creating additional space for future car parking.
Construction is due to be completed in December, with establishment of the turf and landscaping to take up to a further six months allowing the field to be available for sporting use in mid-2018.
Cairns Regional Council is committed to providing sporting and recreation facilities for the community, both now and into the future. The Walker Road Sporting and Recreation Precinct Master Plan is now 70% delivered. The Master Plan provides facilities for cricket, vigoro, hockey, football, oztag, touch, baseball, softball and soccer.
Stage 1A, 2 and 3 works have reached practical completion. This work included:
- sporting fields for softball & baseball including associated amenities and lighting;
- parking areas and sealed access road;
- underground services;
- drainage improvements; and
- construction of two rectangular fields, a full-sized cricket oval with turf wicket and a junior cricket oval, including associated amenities and lighting;
- 177 permanent and 45 temporary car parking spaces;
- a new access road, lighting, landscaping, fencing and utilities.
To view the Staging Plan, please refer to the "For Download" section below. Further information is also available in Related Links.