Will the obelisk be retained in Munro Martin Park?

Yes, the obelisk will be retained and refurbished.

The obelisk was officially "opened" in 1956 and dedicated to sisters Janet Taylor Munro (d. 1945) and Margaret Martin (d. 1948). The Munro Martin step-sisters made significant financial contributions to community facilities, including the botanic gardens. 

Margaret Martin's niece, Margie Hart Martin (d. 1953) left her estate to beautify the northern portion of the park and erect lighting.

Last updated: 02 September 2015