Works update (as at 23 Dec 2016)
- Early works for relocation of services and flood light pole installation complete;
- Water main relocation complete;
- Stormwater culvert / outlets, kerb and channel and footpath (western side) to north end of McLean Street complete;
- New road pavement works at northern end of McLean Street underway;
- New road pavement/footpath/landscaping works to eastern side of McLean Street/southern side of Short Street underway.
Preliminary site works have been underway in preparation for major works to upgrade McLean Street and Short Street in Cairns North.
Once upgraded, the traffic lanes and road shoulders of McLean Street will be widened, with on-street parking down one side of the street. Street lighting improvements will also be undertaken.
Works in Short Street will include road improvements, sealed driveway access and street lighting works.
The site preparation works include:
- under-grounding overhead power lines;
- the realignment of Telstra and NBN services to accommodate new road widths.
While site preparation works are underway, the informal parking on McLean Street will be cordoned off. These will remain inaccessible until the completion of the road upgrade.
The major roadworks on McLean Street and Short Street will be undertaken in conjunction with the Collins Avenue Bridge replacement which will commence Monday 5 September 2016.
Collins Avenue will be closed at Saltwater Creek for an estimated six months, weather permitting.
During this time, access to McLean St will only be via Short Street.
Council apologises for any inconvenience caused and appreciates your patience while these works are underway.
For more information, please phone Council's Communications Officer on (07) 4044 3326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org