This project is complete and the facility is open for public use.
The Lake Street carpark building, located next to the bus transit station near Aplin Street and the City Library, will undergo a multi-million dollar refurbishment. This work will complement the revitalisation of the Lake Street precinct by providing safe and easily accessible parking around the clock.
Construction is scheduled to start mid-June 2017 and it is estimated to take approximately 6 to 8 months to complete the refurbishment. As such, the carpark will be CLOSED FROM TUESDAY 13 JUNE 2017. We thank you for your patience during this time.
- To review alternative CBD parking arrangements: Download this map ( PDF, 0.21 MB ) to see other Council and commercial car parks located in the CBD.
- For all car parking queries: Call Council on (07) 4044 3044 or email email@example.com.
Access changes - Cairns City Library
- From Tuesday 13 June 2017, there will be no vehicular access from Abbott Street to the adjacent City Library carpark or to the drive-through return facility —this space will be required for material storage. Pedestrian access will still be available.
The $5.9 million transformation will include:
- New feature aluminium screens to the north-west and western facades, and non-climbable barriers to all exposed edges;
- Compliant traffic barriers and new central screen barriers;
- New line marking;
- New roof sheeting and roof purlins and extended roof area;
- New generator and upgrading of lighting and power infrastructure;
- Upgrade to offices and other rooms on the ground floor;
- Bike rack upgrade;
- New DDA compliant lift and refurbished internal stairs;
- Illuminated external signage and way-finding signage;
- New CCTV and fire systems.
Download the Fact Sheet in Related Documents for further project information. For updates during construction, please contact Council via firstname.lastname@example.org.