Project update - as at 17 November 2017
This project is approximately 85% complete.
- Scaffolding is being dismantled.
- Lift installation is nearing completion.
- Stairwells almost finished.
- Painting and signage installation underway.
- Electrical and mechanical services almost complete.
- Installation of traffic barriers almost complete.
- Feature façade aluminium panels are being installed.
The Lake Street carpark building, located next to the bus transit station near Aplin Street and the City Library, will undergo a multi-million dollar refurbishment. This work will complement the revitalisation of the Lake Street precinct by providing safe and easily accessible parking around the clock.
Construction is scheduled to start mid-June 2017 and it is estimated to take approximately 6 to 8 months to complete the refurbishment. As such, the carpark will be CLOSED FROM TUESDAY 13 JUNE 2017. We thank you for your patience during this time.
- To review alternative CBD parking arrangements: Download this map ( PDF, 0.28 MB ) to see other Council and commercial car parks located in the CBD.
- For all car parking queries: Call Council on (07) 4044 3044 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access changes - Cairns City Library
- From Tuesday 13 June 2017, there will be no vehicular access from Abbott Street to the adjacent City Library carpark or to the drive-through return facility —this space will be required for material storage. Pedestrian access will still be available.
The $5.9 million transformation will include:
- New feature aluminium screens to the north-west and western facades, and non-climbable barriers to all exposed edges;
- Compliant traffic barriers and new central screen barriers;
- New line marking;
- New roof sheeting and roof purlins and extended roof area;
- New generator and upgrading of lighting and power infrastructure;
- Upgrade to offices and other rooms on the ground floor;
- Bike rack upgrade;
- New DDA compliant lift and refurbished internal stairs;
- Illuminated external signage and way-finding signage;
- New CCTV and fire systems.
Download the Fact Sheet in Related Documents for further project information. For updates during construction, please contact Council via email@example.com.