International Women's Day
International Women's Day is celebrated across the world on 8th March each year. The purpose of the day is to recognise women and their achievements regardless of nationality, ethnicity or cultural, political or economic background.
The Cairns Regional Council Woman of the Year Awards recognises women who have demonstrated courage and/or have made an outstanding contribution to the lives of women and girls in the Cairns Regional Council area.
- Cairns Regional Council Woman of the Year
- Cairns Regional Council Young Woman of the Year (nominees must be aged under 25 as at 1 January 2015)
International Women's Day Breakfast:
Winners of the awards will be announced at Council's International Women's Day breakfast on Saturday 7 March 2015 at the Shangri-La Hotel. Enjoy a morning in the Cairns Shangri-La Hotel Ballroom, celebrating the wonderful contributions women have made to our community. Guest host Juanita Soper from SeaFM, will emcee this year's breakfast, where the announcement of Woman and Young Woman of the Year awards will take place.
Tickets for the hot plated breakfast are $35. You can book online at ticketLiNK.
Other IWD events:
Gals at the Gallery
- Thursday 5 March from 5:30pm at Cairns Regional Gallery
- This great annual event includes a cocktail party to celebrate International Women's Day through the coming together for art appreciation. Light entertainment will be provided. Funds raised on the night will go to support local women's services.
- Cost $20 per person. To book, contact Janelle Charles 0418 765 044 or Deborah Stoffell 0419 648 394 or email email@example.com.
14th Annual Women in Song
- Friday 6 March from 7pm at Tanks Arts Centre, Tank 5
- For bookings, call TicketLINK 1300 855 835.
Sorority Gallery Exhibition
- Exhibition launch on Friday 6 March from 6pm at Tanks Arts Centre, Tank 4
- Exhibition runs from 6 to 26 March.
Gals and Ukes
- Monday 9 March from 9am at Hambledon House Community Centre, Edmonton
- Ever wanted to play a ukulele without sounding like you are skinning a cat ? Well now's your chance. Cairns own ukulele queen Gabby Thomasz will show you a few simple chords to get you started (ukes provided). EOI's will be taken for further workshops.
- Join us for this fun and entertaining workshop, morning tea and inspirational guest speaker Anita Veivers, CEO of Cairns largest disability services provider.
- Cost: $5 includes workshop and morning tea.
- To attend, RSVP to 4044 3410.