Eclipse Road Closures
Important information about road travel during the eclipse
On the morning of the eclipse, there may be a significant increase in the number of vehicles using roads, particularly:
- Bruce Highway - Innisfail to Cairns
- Captain Cook Highway
- Kennedy Highway (Kuranda Range Road)
- Mulligan Highway
- Mossman-Mount Molloy Road
Road users travelling on the morning of the Eclipse should plan for delays and reconsider any non-essential travel.
If you do travel to view the eclipse, drive to the conditions and be mindful of safety when choosing a suitable location to park. If possible, try and find a local vantage point to avoid driving on major roads.
Up to date information about traffic conditions can be obtained from Queensland Transport and Main Road’s Traffic and Travel Information services:
- web: 131940.qld.gov.au;
- phone: 131940; or
- Twitter feed: @131940_FNNQ.
If you can’t avoid travelling by car to view the eclipse, drive to the conditions and be mindful of safety when choosing a location to park.
Police will be out in force and will be strictly enforcing illegal parking and will be removing cars which are parked illegally. It is important that you follow all directions given by traffic controllers during changed traffic conditions.
Cairns, Kuranda and Wangetti
- Kuranda Range Lookout & Rex Lookout: Closed.
- Lake Morris Road: Closed. Residential Traffic Only.
- Oak Beach will be open to vehicular traffic however parking is limited. Once the limited parking capacity is reached the area will be closed. Viewing at Oak Beach is not recommended.
- Wangetti Beach: A large parking area will be available opposite Wangetti College for a $4 donation to the school. The beach is accessible from this parking area along a 400 metre road. The beach access road will be closed to vehicle traffic for the morning.
- Palm Cove Boat ramp: closed from 4pm Tuesday, November 13 until 12 midday on November 14.
- Palm Cove Jetty: Open until reached capacity. Fishing from the jetty is prohibited between midnight and 8am on Wednesday 14 November.
- Yorkeys Knob: Ray and Janet streets closed. Residential traffic only.
- Trinity Beach: Southern end Vasey Esplanade/Possum Street closed. Residential traffic only.
- Williams Esplanade, Palm Cove: Closed north of Cedar Road. Residential and media access only
Port Douglas and Mossman
- Port Douglas Esplanade Four Mile Beach (between Macrossan – Mowbray) Closed with barriers on Macrossan and Mowbray Streets after the Garrick Street intersection.. Residential traffic only.
- Island Point Road: Closed with barriers at Murphy and Wharf Streets. Residential traffic only.
- Murphy Street: South of Owen Street closed. Residential traffic only.
- Alexandra Range Lookout in the Daintree: Closed.
- Changed traffic conditions will also apply for the Eclipse Marathon and the Port Douglas Eclipse Festival. Please drive safely and obey all signage.