Australia Day Awards
Nominate a community champion for 2013 Australia Day honours
Council's Australia Day Awards are endorsed by the Federal and Queensland Governments in line with the national Australia Day Awards.
The Awards recognise the unsung heroes in our community who enrich the lives of others, and do so with no fanfare and very little public recognition. Introduced in 1996, the Awards have gained more esteem and recognition each year.
Nominees must be residents of the Cairns Regional Council area who through their personal efforts have made a significant contribution to the community. A person may be recognised in any field, including the arts, education, community work and business. Contributions must be of an outstanding nature and of direct benefit to the Cairns Regional Council community.
The winners of the 2013 Awards were announced on Friday 25 January and the winners were:
- Citizen of the Year - Roy Gibson
- Junior Citizen of the Year - Felicity Honnef
- Cultural Award “The Arts” - Georgia Balchin
- Volunteer of the Year - Janet Corcoran
- Sportsperson of the Year Senior - Emma Morgan
- Sportsperson of the Year Junior - Andrew Phelps
Nominations for the 2014 Australia Day Awards will open on Monday 2 September 2013.