Council has adopted a multi-faceted strategy to managing flying-foxes in urban areas, particularly in the Cairns city centre. It aims to balance protection of SFFs and the amenity of residents through:
- management approach – using scientific advice and data on flying-fox population numbers and movements to determine what actions (if any) will occur;
- action - responding to immediate concerns;
- community education and awareness to debunk myths about SFFs and provide residents with scientific facts about SFF populations, behaviors and diseases; and
- collaboration with State and Federal Governments on all matters relating to management of Spectacled Flying-foxes, including compliance, conservation and recovery planning.
Flying-fox management strategy
- Flying-fox management in Cairns