Environmental Protection is responsible for implementing specific provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and subordinate legislation pertaining to the protection of the environment from environmental harm.
State Legislation includes:
- Environmental Protection Act 1994
- Environmental Protection Regulation 2008
- Environmental Protection (Water) Policy 2009 (EPP Water)
- Environmental Protection (Air) Policy 2008
- Environmental Protection (Noise) Policy 1997
- Environmental Protection (Waste Management) Regulation 2000
- Waste Reduction & Recycling Act 2011
Activities regulated and enforced by Environmental Protection include environmentally relevant activities (ERAs), contamination of waterways, environmental nuisances including light, noise, odour, particles and smoke, erosion and sediment control, illegal dumping and dewatering permits.
Refer to the links below for specific information.
- Environmental Nuisance
- Building and Industry
- Water Guidelines for Contaminants, Dewatering & Car Washing
Council has a duty to investigate and respond to complaints received. A complaint may result in an inspection of your premises to ensure you are complying with the legislation.
Complaints that are not a Council matter but a civil matter may be referred to mediation. Further information regarding mediation can be found at the Department of Justice & Attorney-General website.
Copies of the Environmental Protection Act 1994, Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and associated legislation can be found at the Queensland Legislation website.