A strategic directions paper was released in October 2011, introducing the new planning scheme project and outlining key policy directions. Council then undertook three rounds of consultation on the draft scheme:
- Round 1: non-statutory consultation from 30 September to 1 November 2013. Over 500 people attended consultation activities and 150 submissions were received.
- Round 2: statutory consultation from 27 October to 10 December 2014. Over 900 people attended consultation activities and 6592 submissions were received. Of these, 6365 related specifically to the Behana Gorge Key Resource Area (KRA38).
- Round 3: consultation on proposed significant changes from 13 July to 25 August 2015. 47 submissions were received.
Council considered all matters raised in the submissions following the completion of statutory public consultation in 2014 (27 October to 10 December) and additional public consultation on proposed significant changes in 2015 (13 July to 25 August).
The Submission Response Report summarises comments raised in submissions and provides a response on how Council has dealt with each submission. This report was presented to the Ordinary Meeting of Council on 23 September 2015.
- Submission Response Report - Part A ( PDF, 12MB ) – Responses to submissions on the Draft Cairns Region Planning Scheme made during the statutory consultation period of 27 October to 10 December 2014.
- Submission Response Report - Part B ( PDF, 0.61 MB ) - Responses to submissions on the proposed significant changes made during the additional consultation period of 13 July to 25 August 2015.
Submitters were sent a letter or email from Council providing a unique submission reference number which can be used to identify your submission and Council's response.
How to find your response
- Open the Submission Response Report Part A or Part B (as indicated in your email or letter).
- For PC, press Ctrl-F (ie, hold down the control key on your keyboard and press 'F')
- For Mac, press Command-F (ie, hold down the command key and press 'F')
- A search field should appear on your screen. Enter your unique submission reference number provided in Council’s letter or email and click Find. This will take you to a summary of your submission and Council's response.
If you experience any issues downloading the Submission Response Report and/or finding your submission response, please telephone Council's Planning team on 4044 3542.