Planning Act 2016
Please note that the Planning Act 2016 comes into effect on 3 July 2017. Applications lodged prior to 3 July 2017 will continue to be assessed under Sustainable Planning Act 2009 in accordance with sections 285-289 of Planning Act 2016. References to the Sustainable Planning Act will be changed and updated to the Planning Act 2016 in due course. Information on the new Planning Act 2016 can be found at www.planning.dilgp.qld.gov.au
Generally, for works involving engineered elements such as roads, paths, driveways, sewer/water/stormwater and earthworks, a well made application shall include:
- Cover letter
- DA Form 1, obtained from Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning (DILGP);
- Statement of Compliance for Operational Works Design, obtained from Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils (FNQROC);
- Plans (to scale) in support of the application, including but not limited to:
- Illustrating the functional layout;
- Road/Stormwater/Sewer/Water/Landscaping Works including Vegetation Protection and Removal;
- Excavation/Fill Earthworks; and
- Erosion and Sediment Control.
- All supporting information required to assist with the assessment of the development application (such as geotechnical reports, acid sulfate soil reports, engineer's reports, hydraulic reports, arborist report, traffic management plans/guidance schemes, visual impact assessments, revegetation/remediation plans);
- An assessment against the planning scheme CairnsPlan 2016 v1.1;
- Payment of relevant application fees, please refer to Development Fees & Charges. More than one fee may apply for applications that cover multiple application types; and
- Payment of the relevant bond for works on roads. The Development Assessment - Receipt Sheet ( PDF, 0.1 MB )form is completed when payment for the application is made.
The development application should be a standalone application whereby all relevant information referred to in the development application and plans shall be supplied with the Operational Works application for assessment. The Operational Works application should not have to rely on other applications already submitted and approved by Council and/or reports yet to be obtained from other sources.
Some specialist reports, such as geotechnical reports, have a relevant period and may no longer be applicable if the proposed works are to commence years after the original report was written, due to the passage of time and potential change in ground conditions.
The Cairns Regional Council prefers that the application be lodged electronically and where plans (to scale) accompany the development application, that it is submitted in an unlocked PDF format.
How can I lodge my application?
Over-the-counter at Council’s main Customer Service Centre, located at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns. This office is open from 8am to 5pm weekdays (excluding public holidays).
Cairns Regional Council
Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
PO Box 359
Cairns QLD 4870
Note: for applications lodged electronically or by mail, Council requests that payment be made over-the-counter at Customer Service.