When preparing your application you must meet the requirements of Section 260 of the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 for your application to be considered properly made. If your application does not meet these criteria, assessment cannot start.
The application must be:
- made to the Assessment Manager on the approved IDAS form or electronically
- provided with all supporting information (stated on the IDAS form as mandatory information)
- lodged with the appropriate fee (see fees and charges)
- accompanied (where required) by the consent of the owner of the land
- accompanied (where required) by evidence of an allocation or entitlement to a State Resource, or evidence that the application may proceed in the absence of an allocation or entitlement to the resource.
Guide to lodgement
The following is a guide to lodging a development application:
- Check the property designation to determine how your proposed development would be assessed against the CairnsPlan 2016.
- Review if the proposed use is code or impact assessable and the relevant codes and Planning Scheme Policies.
- Prepare preliminary designs.
- If you are personally preparing the application, discuss your proposal with a Town Planner at Council's Planner of the Day counter, or seek pre-lodgement advice to determine if there any issues with the proposal.
- Alternately you may wish to consider engaging a town planning consultant to assist with the preparation of the application.
- Finalise plans and supporting documents.
- Complete IDAS forms and ensure all mandatory requirements of the forms have been met.
- Review development assessment checklist to ensure all relevant information is included with the application.
- Lodge your application online, in person or by post.
'Not properly made' applications
The Act states that if the application is considered "not properly made", the Assessment Manager must give the applicant a notice stating all of the following:
- the application is "not a properly made" application
- the reasons why the application is "not a properly made" application
- the next step to ensure that the application will comply with the Act
Lodging your application
You can lodge your development application in person at Council's Chambers at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns or lodge your development application online. Applications by mail should be addressed to:
Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
Cairns Regional Council
PO Box 359
Cairns Qld 4870