About the Awards
The Cairns and Tropical North Queensland (TNQ) region is in the heart of one of the world’s few developed tropical economies, and Tropical North Queenslanders have first-hand knowledge of these challenges. Many TNQ residents have seized the opportunities by transforming their experience and know-how into innovative solutions for a whole range of business and lifestyle problems.
Cairns Regional Council knows that the spirit of innovation offers a competitive advantage to businesses operating within our region and we are committed to recognising, rewarding and supporting those who capture this spirit and apply it through a system of business excellence across all sectors.
Council's TNQiA Awards aim to:
- recognise, reward and support innovation, invention and commercialisation across the Tropical North Queensland region;
- promote a climate of pride in the region’s business community; and
- be a platform for business promotion collaboration and development.
Planning is underway for the 2018 TNQ Innovation Awards. Stay tuned for details, including eligibility criteria, entry process and key dates!
To find out more, contact email@example.com.
TNQIA winners 2016
A virtual gift voucher service, a versatile food product made from bananas and a social media app that helps log travellers’ journeys were among the eight winners of Council's 2016 Tropical North Queensland Innovation Awards.
The awards were presented at a celebration of innovation on 16 November 2016, featuring presentations from ABC presenter James O'Loghlin and Brisbane Angels' Mike Avey. The winners each received a $1000 cash prize from Council plus tailored prizes from local professionals to assist in their further business development.
Congratulations to all 68 inspirational entrants and the eight winners:
- Best Pipeline Product: Cyclevision
- Best Proven Product: Natural Evolution
- Best Pipeline Process: Innovation in Education
- Best Proven Process: JCU Internet of Things (Bachelor of Engineering)
- Indigenous Innovation: The Water App
- Eco Innovation: Portagrid
- Mayor’s Inspire: Storyboard Social
- People’s Choice: Cherrygift
Thank you to our valued sponsors and partners: Sea FM, Channel 9, Iceburg Innovation, Crowe Horwarth, James Cook University, MacDonnells Law, CQUniversity, Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland, Stanwell, Cairns Post, Cairns Zoom, theSPACE, Precedence, Tourism Tropical North Queensland and the Queensland Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships.