Free green waste disposal
Domestic garden clippings, palm fronds and tree cuttings can be dropped at transfer stations at no charge from November 3 to 11.
“If you have trees or branches that might become a safety hazard in strong winds or heavy rain now is the time to take action,” Mayor Bob Manning said.
“By doing a thorough clean-up, you can also reduce potential dengue mosquito breeding sites.”
Cr Manning said it was important that people dispose of garden waste correctly.
“Dumping green waste in drains or areas where it can be washed into drains can hinder their effectiveness during heavy rain,” Cr Manning said.
Green waste can be taken to the following transfer stations during the specified free disposal dates:
- Portsmith Transfer Station (open 7 days 8.30 am – 5.15pm)
- Smithfield Transfer Station (Mon to Sat 7am – 5.15pm, Sun 9am – 5.15 pm)
- Gordonvale Transfer Station (7 days 8.30 am - 5:15pm)
- Killaloe Transfer Station (Mon to Sat 8am - 5.30 pm, Sun 9am - 5.30pm)
- Newell Beach Transfer Station (Mon & Fri 7am - 12pm, Wed 12pm - 6pm, Sat 7am - 6pm)
- Babinda Transfer Station (7 days 8.30am – 4.45pm)
Available for domestic green waste only, delivered by car, utility, trailer or light truck.
Collected green waste will be mulched and offered back to residents at no cost in December.